Monday, June 29, 2009

Day One is Done, and I feel so wicked ;)


So, first day of classes went pretty well, though I am tired, got separated from everybody on the tube and freaked, and my camera's battery died before we even had the tour of Westminster Abbey. So basically it was a tad chaotic and disappointing, but I really just refused to let that ruin my day. Everything is so amazing- the people, the architecture, the sightseeing, and not to mention the fabulous showing of Wicked to end the day.
There were so many parts of the day where I just felt so... I don't even know how to describe it... In another world. I mean, at Westminster Abbey I walked over the body of Charles Darwin, passed Isaac Newton, saw the pew where Winston Churchill sat as the Queen was crowned, saw where Princess Diana's funeral was held, saw stones above the remains of Charles Dickens, Rudyard Kipling, George Frederic Handel, Queen Elizabeth the 1st and Queen Mary (who are surprisingly resting in peace, side by side)... it was just so amazing to be standing in a place with such history, a place that had been there for so many centuries, to feel a connection that far into the past. I mean, I saw the coronation chair, which was built in the 1300s, and it was just sitting up on top of pedestal. Hugh, our lovely guide (with devastatingly beautiful brown eyes), told us the story of two boys, nephews of Richard the 3rd that were killed so as to allow him the throne. Their remains were found when they built a new staircase and they're kept in the same room as Queen Elizabeth and Mary and called "The Innocents." They were twelve and fourteen years old, and for some reason, that story really stuck with me.
These blokes are above the entrance, and they are all saints, since Westminster Abbey is still an active church, which I'm considering attending just to hear the choir :)

The view from the London Eye was awesome as well, and the pod in front of us on the wheel was full of kids on a field trip. While in line, I heard them playing a game that sounded kind of like duck duck goose, in which one boy would hold out his fist for the other kid to pound while saying "Respect!" The other kid would pound his fist, and the boy would move on to the next kid until he randomly decided to shout "Cabbage!" and grab the other kid's fist, pointed and laughed hysterically. All in their little uniforms and ties, I couldn't help but smile.
And honestly, I can't end this entry without saying something about how awesome Wicked was... It was my first time! I used to be a theatre kid, and it actually made me sad I ever gave it up. Just hearing the voices of Elphaba and Glinda gave me goosebumps, and I don't think I'll ever be able to see the Wizard of Oz the same way again.
Well, not gonna lie, I'm bollocksed as they say here in the UK, so I'm off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment