Friday, July 10, 2009

Bonjour!!!

The view from the Eiffel Tower, my personal favorite pic :)
Ah yes, the Eiffel Tower at night is a beautiful sight...
So much to say after two days! Well, Thursday morning we awoke bright and earlier to head off to the British Library, which was actually surprisingly awesome. I saw the Magna Carta and ancient Buddhist documents, among other things, but most notably, they had a little window of hand written song lyrics and original records by the Beatles! I actually have seen the handwriting of John Lennon and Paul McCartney. That was by far my favorite part. The train ride was alright since I have this awesome super power of being able to sleep anywhere. And then, we arrived in Paris.
I didn't understand anyone. We got yelled at to move out of the way. I had to pee and it cost a euro to use the bathroom!!! Apparently its like that all over Europe, but I vow unto you at this very moment, dear reader, that I will not, unless under extreme circumstances, pay to use the bathroom. Ladies and gentlemen, say hello to peeing behind bushes!
On our way out of the metro, there were three people at the top of the stairs smoking, not a ciggarette, which I don't think you can smoke in the metro, but a marijuana ciggarette. Uh, do cops not ride the metro? Some of the ladies in my group were a little concerned, but then they started to help us get our bags up the stairs and were very kind, so everyone seemed a little less disturbed. Oh, it was quite funny.
After being approached by two gypsies, I was a little freaked out, but made it safely back to the hotel. After the amazing trip to the Eiffel Tower, we encountered our first robbery foiled by the police. It was so random, a guy pushed me to go past me and a cop jumped in front of him (and me) and he started to run back before giving in. As if I wasn't freaked out enough already... Its really not that bad here, I know my grandma and my mom and dad are all reading this, saying their prayers and losing sleep over my wellbeing, but fear not! I'm the baby of the group, everyone's taking care of me. For our first meal in Paris, a shameless vending machine occured, many a chocolate and chip were purchased.
After the first day in Paris, I'm feeling a bit more comfortable, a little less homesick for London. The Louvre was really very cool, but my camera died after about two and a half hours! It was very upsetting. But I decided it was actually a good thing it died. I'd been walking around, totally focused on finding a statue that would be perfect for my picture focus for today without actually looking at and appreciating the amazing art around me. I mean, I saw work by Michelangelo, Da Vinci , jewelry, sphinxes, and cat mummies of the Egyptians, even the Mona Lisa (which was almost as impressive as the rowdy crowd surrounding the Mona Lisa). It felt really cool to be looking at such historical artwork. The sculptures were quite beautiful, and this one I think was my favorite, I just love how real and sultry she looks...
I am starting to like Paris more, and I know how to use the metro, so that makes me feel a lot more secure. I seriously just wish I knew the language, then I'd at least know what the crazy gypsies on the side of the road were saying, or the guys that walk past and say things to me, obviously hitting on me but I would never know. The creepiest though is when you walk down the sidewalk and a guy walks by you, walking kind of close to you despite the ample space on the other side of the sidewalk and as he passes he says something under his breathe, as if talking to himself. I don't know what it means, what he's saying or anything, but I know I get the death grip on my purse and ignore him. Really, that's about the worst I've encountered.
Oh, a few extra pics are in order now that the internets working.
Mummy Cat!
And dude, check out these buns!Now those are quite the glutes...
Tomorrow's our free day, I'm sleeping in :)

1 comment:

  1. So amazing! Some day I'd like to take you back and you could be my tour guide. Come on, housing values, go up, go up, I want to go to Europe!!

    ReplyDelete